One Billion Rising: Raising Awareness and Inspiring Action to Break the Chain of Violence Against Women
Need Help or Want to Help? I have gathered some local (Charlottesville, Virginia) and national (US) organizations that are available if you are in need of help or support, or if you want to volunteer or contribute to organizations designed to make a positive difference in women’s lives. I am by no means an expert on this and welcome any additions to or expansions on this list.
SARA ~ Sexual Assault Resource Center
The Women’s Initiative (see volunteer opportunities below)
V-Day – Sponsor of One Billion Rising campaign
The Women’s Initiative Volunteer Opportunities:
1101 EAST HIGH STREET, SUITE A, CHARLOTTESVILLE VA 22902
434.872.0047 | INFO@THEWOMENSINITIATIVE.ORG
- Front Desk Assistant Be the welcoming face to clients as they arrive for appointments, answer phone calls, make copies and do other administrative duties.
- Tabling Events Attend events in the area and represent our organization by talking with members of the public about our services.
- Leader of a group or workshop Bring your creativity to clients and share a passion of yours with the community by running a weekly group or a one time workshop.
- Pro-bono Therapist offer your clinical gifts to women in need by seeing clients either on site or at your private practice.
- Child Care take care of the children of group members or individuals while they are in session.
- Web based tasks help with updating our website, Facebook page and Twitter feed.
- Development assistance plan and coordinate fundraising events, seek donations, obtain sponsorships from community businesses and organizations do research for grants.
- Database help enter client data weekly so that the organization can track the services provided.
- And much more such as putting up flyers around town, creating a garden at the office, helping with group mailings…